Thursday, June 20, 2013
Passions, Hopes, Dreams on paper
Every 3-4 years I re-evaluate my passions, hopes, and dreams for my life. There is something SO powerful is being able to define those things and write them down. There is something even MORE powerful in going back and seeing how God fulfilled the dreams he has placed in my heart over the course of my 20's.
I dream big. I can't help it, most of the dreams and hopes are things that are impossible or sound too big for a girl like me. Like one of my dreams when I was 22 was to be a part of many cultures and nations and to learn many languages. So God took me to live in Spain and be deeply involved with the lives of the people there. I spent a year and a half diving into the culture and learning Spanish. My friends would take me to their hometowns where I got to experience the people, food, and traditions in ways beyond any tourist type experience. I was even on the local news a few times! haha! And He also took me to North Africa 7 times and I got to learn a little Arabic and learn that culture and about the Islam religion. I made Muslim friends and was able to share my faith with them many times. They even taught me a little French but then told me that I should never try to never learn French cause I had a really bad American accent. :)
I believe when we stop and listen and ask him, God places dreams in our hearts. January 2, 2006, four months until I would graduate college I wrote this:
"I feel hopeless in ever figuring out my calling, where to step, what direction to take. Deep inside there is the desire to aspire to greatness, to matter on this earth. I want to shift my perspective to stop trying to find how I can matter and just make others matter. Help others aspire. As I grow in finding God and wanting him more than any of this, he will take care of me. He will exceed my dreams himself."
And on May 5, 2006, a few days before I graduated college he formed those dreams as I began to write them down. They were vague in my heart, but he had specifics in his view that would only come to fruition through steps of faith, steps into much uncertainty by his leading.
After the fruition of many of those dreams from '06, God brought me to a place again in 2009 where he wanted me to consider new dreams, hopes and passions. I wrote them down again. And over the past 4 years he brought every single one of the 9 dreams and visions and hopes I wrote down to pass. One was, "to be a part of a movement a great work of God with and in this generation." And God allowed me to help start and lead a ministry for young adults in Memphis. Even in the course of working with the Young Adult Community he gave me dreams for the ministry and fulfilled them in great ways.
I have truly seen the faithfulness of God.
So just a few days ago, God led me to do this again. I have discovered new dreams, passions and hopes for my life that truly feel impossible and too big for me. That is how I know they are dreams from God. I wrote them down. My confidence and rest comes in remembering his faithfulness and fulfillment of so many big, impossible dreams I have seen God breath life into and bring to pass in such unconventional ways.
There is just something about defining your dreams and hopes for your life and writing them down on paper. I would've forgotten some of those things. And if I would've forgotten them, I wouldn't have experienced the faithfulness of God in the fulfillment of those things.
"Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!" Luke 1:45
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment