Ever since I was little I valued my environment. I remember wanting my own room so bad that I moved into the bathroom, I wanted to create a space that was mine and I could make it how I wanted it. It was kinda weird that I did that and valued that so much.
When I got a little older (like 11) we moved and I got my own room. I spent so much time and effort decorating it and setting the atmosphere. I remember getting the lighting with my lava lamp, halogen lamp and candles just right. Then I would play music by Mariah Carey and just bask in this comfortable, relaxing environment I created. Again kinda quirky.
When I got older (like 20) I was in college and I remember beginning to create environments to connect people. I started a Bible study for some girls at my house and I threw parties all the time. I spent my senior year connecting some freshman girls to the greater Christian community at my college. I especially remember spending like 8 hours some days at the coffee shop on campus where every hour different friends and groups of people would come and hang out with me. They would stop by cause they knew I was there, just ready to talk and hang out. I used that place to introduce people and create this environment for connection. People thought I was crazy for spending that much time hanging out in one place.
The reason I reflect on it is because I can see how God used something that has always been true of me and kinda weird about me since I was little for something with purpose and for his kingdom now.
What I do for my job with the Young Adult Community is I create and provide environments, atmospheres, for young people to connect and grow in their faith together.
I was organizing my file drawer at work the other day and I found some old excel sheets and just lists and lists of names. About 500 young adults have been through this ministry. I was blown away by looking at all these names. People who have found community even if it was only for a short period of time through this ministry. Everyone cycles in and out. But while they have been around, they have connected with others in a Christ-centered community through an environment.
Though some don't stay long, many others have found life long friends or the people they will marry and spend the rest of their life with all from a strange little quirk about me that God has attached purpose to: my love for creating environments for connection and relationship in Christ.
1 comment:
Love how God can use our oddities to His glory, and I absolutely love that you moved into the bathroom out of desperation for your own room! That is so cute!
Post a Comment