Thursday, October 2, 2008

working





(These are pictures of where I work)

So I started a new job on Monday! Yes, I am a worker now, like employed in the real world! I love my new job, it is a part time temporary job at Media Comm, Snap 5, and INSP until the full time position for a producer's assistant that I interviewed for at INSP opens up in the next month or two. (It is a long story how I got there, but very cool and definitely from God.)

My job title is called craft services assistant. Basically I make and deliver breakfast to producers and editors. I also re-stock coffee, I wash some dishes and towels. I make sure food and towels are put out for guests that will be on the shows. I am a receptionist for an hour, and I do whatever else they need done. It's great for meeting people in the business and learning about the TV world.

I am reading "To Own a Dragon" by Donald MIller these days. There is a chapter about work. He was talking to his friend who used to dig septic systems and how he prided himself in what he did and would do it so well that no one could tell he had even dug up their yard. He tells Miller this, "There wasn't anything fun about it... but the work was honorable. It made me a better person. Nobody should be ashamed of the work they do, they should do it with pride and do it right... It taught me to take great pride in what I do, to offer people more than what they expect, to do work as unto the Lord."

Ever since my first day of work I have been thinking a lot about this verse, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." ~ Col. 3:23-24

SO as I do these simple jobs, I really try to think about it like this. I try to wash dishes like I am doing it for a meal for Jesus or deliever people's breakfast as if I am serving the Lord or set up make up and dressing rooms as if he were the guest coming to be on the show. And this is why I love my work. When done like that there is something way better than a salary awaiting. As Donald Miller put it, "The idea of work is God's invention, and it is part of our spirituality to do it... Work is worship."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Molly,

Awesome. Everytime I think of you I think of blessing. You are such a inspiration and where else would our Lord send you but Inspiration Network. I watch it. I look forward to when you will be on it. Make sure you let me know. I want to be there. Smile. God bless you. Thanking Jesus. Lucy & Johnny