Monday, January 29, 2007

on home


I feel at home here! I have only been in Colorado for two weeks and I feel so adapted and adjusted to this way of life. It will be hard to say good bye to this place and these people. Then I think about my last night in Memphis before I came here. I did't want to leave that place or those people I love so much. I have only lived in Memphis for 3 months and it has really become home to me through the relationships I have developed there. My home has changed so many times over the past few years, from Charlotte, to Boone, to Brazil, to Wilmington, to Memphis, and next to Spain.

When I think of what home is, I keep hearing my Mom's word's when she spoke at the women's retreat in 2003, "Home is a relationship not a place. True home is our relationship with God."

When I read Jesus' word's, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him" ~ (John 14:23) I am so undeserving and so in awe that the God of the universe, by his grace and through his son, would consider his relationship with me "home". In knowing that, I can be sure and secure that I can consider my relationship with God "home".

Then I can be at home no matter where I am. "One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple." ~ ps 27:4

(Above is a picture of my brother John, my sister Amy and I at home over Thanksgiving.)

2 comments:

dave ruff said...

Interesting picture of Johnny!!!!!!

Katie Jo said...

One of my alltime favorite quotes relates to this. Andrew Largemen in Garden State is discussing home and family. He says "Maybe family is just a group of people who misses the same place." Thus we are family Molly Ruff.