I have been reading the book "Soul Detox" by Craig Groeschel, who is becoming one of my favorite pastors. I bought the book cause I heard him preach this message derived from the book. And it has been really helpful in my walk with God recently.
Last week I found myself on this downward spiral just in my thoughts and attitudes. Especially in feeling discouraged and overwhelmed in ministry. I have a ton of vacation days and have to use them all by July 1st or they go away, so I decided to take almost this whole week off. So I've had time to get away, be still, be with God, and read his word and also this book. I took this time also to keep my phone off, not check email, Facebook or Twitter! Which is soooo refreshing!
This book is wonderful, the part I am diving into is the part it talks about toxic thoughts, thoughts that control us: negative thoughts, fearful thoughts, bitter thoughts and critical thoughts. "Most of life's battles are won or lost in the mind."
"Carefully guard your thoughts because they are the source of true life." ~ Pr. 4:23
"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God and we take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ." 2 Cor. 10:5
So as I was praying through some of this stuff, I felt like God was encouraging me to identify different negative thoughts I have and lies I believe and then find truth in scripture that fights against them. I was hoping that the book would have a list but going through God's word on my own searching for specific things applying specifically to me is so much more powerful. This is such a practical way to take thoughts captive and make them obedient to Christ.
Here are some examples:
LIE: "You don't have what it takes." TRUTH: "in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." 2 Cor. 9:8
LIE: "You're such an idiot." TRUTH: "You are precious and honored in my sight." Is 43:4
LIE: "I'm bad at making decisions." TRUTH: "You are in Christ Jesus who has become for us wisdom from God." 1 Cor 1:30
LIE: "I should have....(regret)" TRUTH: "it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." Pr. 19:21
and there are so many more. I love God's word and want to fill my mind more and more with his truth so I have it there to fight "the battles of the mind."
"For as [a person] thinks in his heart, so is he" Pr. 23:7
No comments:
Post a Comment