Thursday, March 22, 2012

Risk and Investment


In Matthew 25 Jesus tells the parable about how a master gave 3 servants different amounts of money. Two of the servants doubled the master's investment. The third one said, "Master I know you have high standards and hate careless ways, that you demand the best and make no allowances for error. I was afraid I might disappoint you, so I found a good hiding place and secured your money. Here it is, safe and sound down to the last cent. v. 24-25 msg.

He was afraid to take a risk, to invest the money, because what if he lost it? What if he failed with what he was trusted with? So he played it safe. He took the sure way, the way in which he was guaranteed to still have the money. It was comfortable, he didn't have to be creative or change anything he was doing. He could just hide it and continue on with life as normal.

"The master was furious. That's a terrible way to live. It's criminal to live cautiously like that! If you knew I was after the best why did you do less than the least? The least you could have done would have been to invest the sum with the bankers, where at least I would have gotten a little interest." v. 26-27.

Obviously in this parable Jesus is the master and we are the servants. I have been thinking about this parable and my own life and ministry and what kind of job I am doing to multiply the investment God has given me. I like to play it safe. I like consistency, routine, I like what is predictable and comfortable. So this is a very challenging passage to me. Jesus says very challenging things, I am spending time studying his words in the Gospels and he makes some extreme calls and challenges. Here is what he says at the end of this parable.

"Take the thousand and give it to the one who risked the most. And get rid of this "play-it-safe" who won't go out on a limb. Throw him out into utter darkness." v. 28

"Throw that worthless servant outside, into utter darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (niv)

Dang, I mean that is strong language. But it implies the high importance of multiplying his investment.

The only way we can multiply it is to take a risk, a step of faith, to "go out on a limb." When I fall into the routine of ministry and doing what is comfortable cause it is easy, I stop taking risk, I stop depending on God's spirit to do the work, to do something great. I want to multiply what I've been given. So recently I am asking God what risks he wants me to take, what do I need to change? what does going out on a limb in ministry look like right now?

I'm not sure of the answer yet, but I know my desire to make the most of his investment is stronger than my desire for the routine and comfort of hiding it. I don't want to live out of fear of failure if I take a risk, but rather dependence on Him when I try something I can't predict or control or guarantee will succeed. Jesus guarantees that it's worth it:

"Take the thousand and give it to the one who risked the most."

"For everyone who has will be given more and he will have an abundance."

"Risk your life and get more than you ever dreamed of."

No comments: