Friday, August 12, 2011

movement & kingdom


Lately I have been overcome with a new or re-newed passion to see God's spirit work mightily in our generation. I want to see him do great things, I have high hopes and big visions to see him bring tons of people to him and grow in him. I want to see people's faith be sparked with passion and desire to really give all areas of our lives to him. I want to see deep faith, passionate faith in God stirred up in my generation.

And I get so excited for what he will do and I want to go out and see a great movement of his Spirit like today!

But in my times alone with God, he reminds me that "there is big potential in small beginnings." That the day to day work isn't always big and glorious, it is tedious, repetitive, it is obedient. It is faithful in the now, in the small, with the little.

I remember Jesus' strategy was to invest in 12 men. 12 men, not huge crowds, but 12 men who would reach the masses. Men who hung out with him all the time and even towards the end still didn't get it, still let him down. He still kept investing in them. He started small and continued with it.

Today when I was praying I was telling God how much I desire to see his kingdom come on earth, in Memphis, in my generation. And instantly his words about his kingdom came to my mind.

"The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed seed in his field." ~ Matt 13:24

"The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. Though it is the smallest of all your seeds, yet when it grows it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree." ~ Matt 13:31

"The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in a field" ~ Matt 13:44

"The kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls."~ Matt 13:45

Small things, small beginnings. Tedious work, continuous looking, sowing, searching, planting. Small steps, continuous investment.

Yet large results, work that was worth all they had, worth selling all they had, worth all the tedious prep work.

Work worth giving our lives to. And so I am reminded to be faithful in what I've been given to do now. Obedient in each step along the way. To not give up or quit because at the proper time we will reap a harvest. (Gal 6:9) We will see his spirit move and his kingdom come... in our generation.

No comments: