
I heard a song by Lil Wayne on the radio called, "How to Love." I bought this song, I love this song. He is singing to this girl he knew when she was young and now she is older and he is watching her (in a club I assume) singing this to her:
"See you had a lot of moments that didn’t last forever, now you in the corner tryna put it together, how to love, how to love. See you had a lot of crooks tryna steal your heart, never really had luck, couldn’t never figure out how to love, how to love."
It seems to me that this girl he is singing to keeps settling for different men, she seems lost and broken. Lil Wayne refers to her insecurities a few times through out the song.
In thinking about this song, I envision Jesus watching the Samaritan woman at the well. Knowing that she had been with many men, trying to find love, but never could quite figure it out. Maybe she had a lot of moments where she thought she found it, but they didn't last forever. It was temporary. That's why she went from man to man. Now she's at the well, maybe insecure, maybe broken, maybe full of shame (commentators speculate she was ashamed or hiding based on the time of day she was at the well).
Both these girls get called out about how they are living by these men watching them.
The difference is for the girl in the song, Lil Wayne can't offer her anything except to say, "I just want you to know, you deserve the best, you're beautiful." Maybe that statement is just another fleeting moment for this girl.
But the Samaritan woman gets the opposite of a fleeting moment, she gets something eternal.
Because the man watching her is Love. He is eternal and gives her something that would change her forever. Maybe in meeting Love himself, she in turn figured out "How to Love."
Maybe that is what we need... A Love that helps us figure out how to love.
How do we know him as Love? Because he sacrificed. Jesus lost the love of his Father on the cross, though he was truly beautiful, though he truly deserved the best. He took on the ugliness of our sin and received the worst, so we could have that Love.
Finding ways to meditate on the Gospel everyday will help us figure out how loved we are and in turn help us figure out "how to love." I think if we look close enough, evidence of the Gospel is all around us, even on K97, even in a love song by Lil Wayne.
1 comment:
I love this song too Molly. I heard it for the first time as I pulled my car into my apartment complex. Stayed in the car listening till it was over. Went inside and told my roommate about it. (he's a singer/ songwriter). We immediately, googled it, ituned it, and figure how to play it on our guitars.
Great blog. It's good too see beauty in the world sometimes.
Post a Comment