Tuesday, March 31, 2009

spaniards and safari








One day we were out to eat at this outside restaurant we were sitting around talking for a while after we had finished. At 2:30 a group comes in and sits down. They all order beer and I hear faint accents of Spain Spanish. My back was facing them, but I knew, especially by the beer, yes, those are my beloved people group of the world, Spaniards! I finally got the nerve to go up to them and speak with them in Spanish. It was so great meeting them and laughing with them, they were in Kenya to go on Safaris man it made me miss Espana.

When we went to the lodge where we stayed during the safari, I heard that familiar accent again. A huge group from Spain was there too. I got to know some of them, they would say certain phrases in their sentences that is just so typical spain, my heart just melted and reminded me so much of my Spanish friends. I was thinking, "oh please say that again." I talked to some of them a long time by the pool one afternoon. It was just a gift from God I feel like.

The safari's were absolutely incredible. Words and even pictures can not capture what we experienced out there. We saw hundreds of elephants right up close, a family of lions taking a nap, a field full of zebras, gazelles, antelope, and tope. Then we came upon a dead elephant. A hyena was eating it and a huge group of vultures were waiting for the hyena to leave so they could eat too. Then we saw all these giraffes start to gallop in the distance. A little one began to shake and stumble. Our driver said, "look that one is cripple." But then it fell to the ground and we drove closer. We saw that it had just been shot with a bow and arrow by a Maasai. We watched this group of giraffes lean over the fallen one and watch it slowly die. It was really sad and really crazy that we actually saw that. Our driver told us that the Maasai man shot the giraffe because one of his cows had been eaten by one of the park's lions, this was his revenge. Then we kept driving and saw so much more. The sun was setting, it was one of the top experiences of my life. breath-taking beauty.

1 comment:

Katie Jo said...

that picture with the rickshaw like vehicle and the sunlight is earth shattering.