Thursday, February 12, 2009

my life in memphis






I came to Memphis in November. I arrived exhausted from my travels over the previous months. I came to rest in my parents home and just be and definitely not travel. I did nothing besides rest for all of November and December I thoroughly enjoyed the holidays American style and soaked in what it was to be home for the holidays (since last year I wasn't here for any holiday).

In January I spent the first week on line all day every day looking for jobs. And every day ended in discouragement. I was feeling so detached from life and from people. I kept thinking, "I am gonna get a job in another city and leave in like a week." I soon realized that probably wasn't probable. And I got to the point where I decided to BE HERE NOW. To be fully in Memphis, fully engaged in life and in the lives of those around me. I began volunteering as a leader for the youth and college ministries. I decided to put more of an effort in making friends even though I know more than ever the cost of investment in people and the pain of goodbyes. Though I have said good bye soooo many times to soooo many people I find the cost no matter how painful is always worth it.

I spend my days differently, I usually run in the mornings which is such a gift to have time to do. Some days, I work in the kitchen at church other evenings I go up to church for youth group or college, I get to hang out, go to coffee with friends, shop with my mom on her days off and go to lunch with people. I go to coffee shops and study Spanish, one day a week I skype with one of my Spanish friends, which is awesome! I swim when I get free passes to go to the pool. The past week I have been working on a talk I gave to some of the women in the church. Sometimes I swing at the park haha, its so fun! Each week and day is different. Today Jessica and I went up to the University of Memphis and had lunch with some of the college students. And of course I spend a lot of time looking for jobs. I apply and send out resumes, mostly I try to network since that is the way most jobs seem to come about. I was reading a book about finding a job, it said, "you aren't unemployed, you are just between opportunities" haha I like that. So I guess that's where I am, "between opportunities".

No comments: