Monday, June 23, 2008

culture and religion




This is where I went to church this sunday. I woke up and thought how much more often will I have the opportunity to go to church in a huge monument built in the 1500's? I should take advantage of where I live while I am still here, living to the fullest. I live 7 minutes (walking) from this building.

I have been learning a lot about Catholicism lately (Spanish Catholicism). I think my dad would be proud because he is like Catholic church history expert!

I am learning that there is a lot I don't know and a lot I can't assume.

It is really interesting to talk to the people about their beliefs. My Spanish tutor is the one who has given me the most insight into religion and culture in Spain. Usually our class turns into just talking about our lives and her explaining things about the culture to me. She asked me to write a paper on what I believe about Jesus. I did.

She told me she believes the exact same thing except that she believes you go to heaven by being a good person. I tried to tell her that was a huge difference, she said it was a minor detail, more like personal opinion.

So I thought I would go to Mass at the Cathedral, just to continue learning and plunging into the culture. I sat in the middle of a bunch of really really old people hahaha. I thought the sermon was really good. I couldn't stop looking up at all the art work that just kept going higher and higher. It was very beautiful and reverent in there.

My Spanish tutor told me that talking about God was an off limits subject among Spaniards. Which I don't know how when they have about a million holidays where they carry statues of Jesus and Mary through the streets. The preacher at the Cathedral was telling people that it is easy to pretend like you are an atheist but how worth it it is to go out and share the gospel and with the people in their lives.

So more than anything I am learning that I have a lot to learn and it takes a long time to really know a culture and understand how they perceive things. I feel like I have gotten a glimpse into their world and even gotten to be a part of it for this past year and a half.

Here is an example of my learning the culture. There were some hot days in the end of April. So I decide to wear my very Spanish sandals. My friends looks at my shoes and goes, "ah Molly, I thought you've changed, I thought you have become more Spanish, but you are still very American." Meaning it was just too early for the sandals. I said, "But it's HOT!" She said, "But it's just not time yet." So then I waited til the middle of June to wear my sandals like the rest of the Spaniards :)

Culture intrigues me... especially this one. And I am thankful because in some ways these people and this culture have become deeply a part of who I am becoming. And I will carry this experience with me forever.

1 comment:

dave ruff said...

Molly,
I do love Roman Catholic history, it's so rich, so many really great christians. St. John of the Cross, St Theresa of Lisaux(sp?), of course St Francis. So many great mystic's who knew God in ways we never have imagined eg. St. Teresa of Avila, the Desert Fathers.....But, really, i haven't quite gotten to the expert level...far from it. But we owe so much to the Catholic Church who carried the torch of the gospel faithfully for 1500 years.....
Sorry, didn't mean to get on a soap box.... Anyway, love your immersion into that whole world and it's so cool that the Priest you heard was so evangelical.
Sorry, way too long. Love you,
Dad