Beloved, one who is loved, loved one…
I made chocolate chip cookies and brought them to my Spanish friends on Valentines day (not on purpose or for it necessarily) but just to give something out of love randomly. We were all talking about Valentines day. They said, “Molly who are you in love with?” Then they answered their own question, “You are in love with life…” then pointing to the cookies, “and we are your beloveds.” I just smiled, “yes, you are my beloveds.”
There was such a sense of completeness and joy when I heard them say, when I heard them believe that I love them, because I do… soooo much! I did an act of love and when they knew by my action that they were loved, it came full circle… or something, some sense of completeness, you know!? And all I could think about was God, and how it must bring him even so much more joy and delight when I believe he loves me.
I was riding with them all in a car the other day. One of them was talking about how she doesn't like it when her boyfriend is drunk. I didn’t really enter the conversation too much, I was overwhelmed with one thought: “Man, I love you guys!!!” My thought was so loud in my head that I’m surprised they couldn’t hear it. If they would have stopped their conversation and said “Molly, what do you think?” I would have said, “que os quiero.” But that wouldn’t have been sufficient, because what I was thinking was “man! I love you guys.” That is my language, I guess I feel in English. To me it contains more of my feeling and true meaning in my own language. But to communicate it effectively I would’ve said it in Spanish. Actually now that I think about it maybe I would have said it in both languages to get the meaning AND the feeling across. (Because you know, I am a communications major)
And all I could think about was God, how he is always walking around with me and how even when my mind and thoughts are on a completely other subject, He is there thinking, “Man! I love you!!” Except in his language. And if I stop and listen I can hear his thought. If I would stop and say, “God, what do you think?” I would hear, “that I love you” and knowing that is not enough to get the meaning and feeling across he did something else. Because he can say “I love you” in English to me all day long, but he has a language in which his word fufills the true meaning. His Word. His son. His life. His death. His passion. His Word which became flesh. His love expressed in Christ. His greatest act of love. And in that we get to hear the meaning AND the feeling of His love… Then pointing to the cross we’d say, “and we are your beloveds.” He would just smile, “yes, you are my beloveds.”
2 comments:
You are my beloved. Que os quiero!!!
Your Dad
This is my favorite post ever. I want to print it and hang it on my wall.
I really might have to share this with some people! Hope you don't mind...
Post a Comment