Thursday, March 8, 2007

a freshman in life






I am in Spain now and it still seems so surreal. I really like walking around Granada and experiencing such a different place in the world. It is so...foriegn... It is a really cute city. I like looking at all the newness around me especially the mountains surrounding the city (I can't wait to run through them during the sunrise while listening to the Chariots of FIre soundtrack!)

So I only know a few phrases in Spanish so far. It is hard not even being able to do my own major (communications) here... haha isn't that ironic? For the past four years I have studied, tested on and written papers about talking with people (communicating) and now I am living in a place that doesn't really highlight my area of expertise. But I am excited to learn a new language! I start spanish class next week. I guess I can just look at it like an extension to my orginal major...like getting an unofficial masters!

The only thing I can relate this expereince to is to being a freshman in colllege. I remember driving to Boone with Mom and Dad and John and being so nervous and excited to start a new life there. I was so curious if I could and how I would make friends on my own. One day early on I specifically remember sitting in the McAlister's on campus watching all of the students flooding in the doors and thinking, "oh my gosh there are so many people here... I want to know them all!" In all my nervousness and excitement I jumped into the college culture and found people there who embraced me, took me in and introduced me to so many friends.

So now as I come here I feel the same nervousness/excitement. I want to make friends here and jump into the Spanish culture. I want to learn how to communicate...again... I want to expereince this expereince to the fullest. There are so many college students here (80,000) and I want to know them all! haha well...you know...as many as I can in the next year and a half. So here I am in Granada, Spain... I really feel like a freshman all over again, except this time on a more extreme level... like a freshman in life.

3 comments:

dave ruff said...

Molly
I was great talking to you today. You sound so much better. I am so glad about the low/no cost of the phone calls. How great is technology!
I love your pictures, it really helps me get a feel for where you are. Hang in there with the apartment. Knowing you, I know you'll make it your own. Remember the bath tub in Ol Georgetown-ha. For those of you reading this. Molly wanted her own room, so she claimed the bathtub as her new sleeping arrangement in the temporary condo we had to live in when we first got to Charlotte. Molly was in the 3rd grade at the time. It was....quite creative :)
Lots of Love,
Dad

BritBoat said...

Nice story, dad. Thanks! Oh silly Molly. :-)

Love the picture with the big read building! It's really lovely.

Freshman in life? Totally! I like the outlook of the unofficial master's. Nice! That definitely adds more prestige to the language learning process for those of us who were communication majors. So I'll get an unofficial master's too! Yes! :-) You're great. I love your positive outlook on just about anything.

Katie Jo said...

I have no doubt in my mind that you will know them all. Well, at least most.

YOU SLEPT IN A TUB?? Ha. That is great.

Katie